Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Forgotten Cartoon Dad: Wait Till Your Father Gets Home Opening



Keeping up with the Father's Day theme, I'm taking a little time out from my 24K songs for this post.  There are a lot of mature cartoons focusing on dysfunctional families with characters such as Stan Smith (American Dad), Peter Griffin (Family Guy) and of course Homer Simpson (The Simpsons) as well as a slew of other cartoon dads that  portray goofy fathers  who screw up all the time.  For me, however, their antics are no longer funny to the point that I don't think portray what a father should be.The only cartoon dad for me is Harry Boyle from "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home".  For this post, I added the opening jingle.

Harry was a conservative father who worked hard for his family's welfare.  As a father, he was strict but considerate with his children.  He always clashed with his children on certain issues but in the end, they would see the wisdom of his judgement.  Sometimes his family would drive him up the wall with their crazy ideas where he would often be the one who would suffer in the process.  Yet in the end, he would be the one who resolve all the issues like a father would in real life.

With today's cartoon dads. it's all about seeing only their views as well as washing their hands off or covering up the scene of the crime.  A lot of times, it's not about imparting wisdom but trying to look good even if they are getting annoying.  I'm starting to wonder if these people are mature enough to be a father.  That's why I miss Harry Boyle.  He was my ideal model of what a dad should be.


No comments: